Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A good Tuesday


Today is my last day in Nalerigu, and I was able to do all my favorite things. I went for a walk just after sunrise, then we did morning rounds on the Pediatric patients. After doing CPR to try to revive a child on yesterday's rounds, today was refreshingly good. Everyone had improved. I went to the Nutrition Center to round on the malnourished patients and had some good conversations with the mothers about feeding their children. It is universal that some first-time moms need to learn how to feed their children, so I gave some routine general peds advice. The patient who has kwashiorkor seems to be doing a bit better now. She is the one with the wrinkled face, due to edema. One baby was HIV positive, so I discussed treatment options with her grandmother. The nurses, mothers and children are so appreciative of any help I am able to give them. I find the Nutrition Center to be one of my favorite places.




In the afternoon, I went out with the Public Health officers to a remote village for a health festival which was designed to educate the villagers about exclusive breast feeding and the importance of immunizations. In return, the villagers danced for us and made us a meal. It was about 120 degrees by mid afternoon!

I returned for afternoon rounds and to take some more pictures of some of my favorite patients, and here they are!
Tomorrow I will leave to start heading home. It is sad to leave because this has been such a wonderful experience...but it will be nice to be home again.
Many thanks to all who have been wishing us well and following along on the blog!
Sarah

1 comment:

Blue Canoe Crew said...

Thank-you from the bottom of our hearts for all the help you gave our daughter, Kavara. We will miss your postings, as well, but are glad you are re-uniting with your family. We feel like we know you from these few days. Have a safe trip home.